On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Nic  Pottier <nicpott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be curious to hear what the reason for not accepting this patch
> is.  String truncation is a pretty common task, and having it built in
> seems like a no-brainer.

It is built in, though, it's just called "slice". The only thing
people seem to offer to differentiate this proposal from the existing
filter is that the proposed "truncate" would add an ellipsis at the
end, and honestly I'm not really convinced that's a significant enough
use case to warrant adding another built-in filter.