I can see some benefit in consistency here but what do you do about
saving the current object?

This is a problem in general with any actions performed on the same
screen a change form.

1. User enters the object detail view
2. User changes a field
3. User selects an action.

Does the action apply to the saved or unsaved state? If the former
then the admin must warn that the object will be saved before
performing the action whereas the latter option would be rather
confusing (do we keep or drop the changes?)

In general I don't think performing actions on an object makes sense
in 'edit' mode and there is no details view in the Django admin other
than an 'edit' mode.