That sounds like a pretty simple addition that won't affect (m)any folks, so
I'm fine with adding such a wrapper.  I'd prefer the methods be called
'get_level' and 'set_level', however, so they're shorter and match the
naming of 'get_messages'.

Others?

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize I'm very late giving feedback on the API, sorry and feel
> free to ignore if I'm too late.
>
> That said, from the docs, the API to set the effective messaging level
> is awkward:
>
> ======
> # Change the messages level to ensure the debug message is added.
> messages.get_messages(request).level = messages.DEBUG
> ======
>
> To *set* the messaging level, I call .get_messages?
>
> I think I understand the reason this was done-- get_messages is
> backend- and request-specific, but it is definitely surprising.
>
> Perhaps something like this would do better?
>
> messages.effective_level(request) => messages.INFO
> messages.set_effective_level(request, messages.DEBUG)
> ?
>
> Behind the scenes, it could be almost the same implementation.

Tobias McNulty
Caktus Consulting Group, LLC
P.O. Box 1454
Carrboro, NC 27510