Hi,
for me it has a big WTF factor. Automatically created tables according
to field.

As DirectoryField I would suppose behaviour like SET or ENUM fields in
MySQL. I hope there are equivalents in other DB storages.
Implementation of this types I would appreciate in Django ORM. This
doesn't need to be even new field. It will be sufficient to have
implemented those use cases for present field types which gets default
values as dictionary or tuple of tuples.
- validating: no other values except set in defaults are valid
- unique values in SETs
- support for binary representation of values and binary matching in
ORM queries

Vaclav