> I don't understand how avoiding the settings.py mechanism will produce
> *more* flexibility.

Bad choice of words on my part, sorry. Of course code is always more
flexible than static data.

The two key bits of required 'flexibility' I didn't have out of the
box (and were difficult to hack and get working) are:
1. App level settings that are mutually exclusive (one app needs
settings different from another - this happens a lot).
2. Setting definitions that aren't tied in timing and scope terms to
Python's import process (I've seen this interact badly with start-up
code, for example).
And it would be cool to have a level of indirection so that settings
could be guaranteed to be dynamic (some are, some aren't, those that
are often need monkey-patch style hacks to change). And tools for
debugging where settings for a failed request are defined. And a
security layer around some settings. And fields and fields of other
ponies.

Seriously though, I don't think the settings.py approach is broken. It
makes sense, makes getting from nothing to runnable code a breeze, is
logical for small deployments, and has bags of flexibility for most
use-cases. I'm happy adjusting it in my projects. I've never deployed
or seen deployed a system that used settings.py in anything like its
default version, but the replacements aren't standard enough to be an
alternative default; every client has different technical, management
and internal politics constraints.

My comments were meant in the spirit of Jacob's. Just FYIs for a
particular niche of users.

I should also say that most of the developers I work with do love
working with Django. So their criticisms have to be taken against a
background of strong positivity.