On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Forest Bond <for...@alittletooquiet.net> wrote:
> * Forbid premature draining of the content iterator via response.content by
> only
>  evaluating the content iterator if accessed via iter(response) and raising an
>  exception if it is accessed via response.content.
> * Is this type of change too invasive for 1.2?

I assume you mean 1.3, since 1.2 is in feature freeze.

Anyway, the response.content attribute is documented and client code
may depend on it, making this a backwards-compatibility issue.

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/request-response/#django.http.HttpResponse.content

For GZip support of iterators and similar large in-flight values, I
think spooling to memory and disk, like file upload does, might be a
reasonable solution, but still, .content is just a string, so it'll be
difficult to keep compatibility.

Just my opinion.  I hope a committer overrules me.  ;-)