Thanks, Joseph.

I agree it works well as an external project. It's been on pypi for a little
while[1] and I added the link again to the bottom of the (now closed) ticket.
Incidentally, #2507[2] is a rather old and dusty ticket on the same subject.

Thanks,
Peter

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/django-auth-ldap/
[2] http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/2507