I think there are some settings which are for the developer, and some which
are appropriate for an admin user, who is not necessarily the developer, to
have access to. In addition, there are some settings which should be
modifiable without necessitating a server restart.
There is value in having configuration options which are available to a user
who doesn't have server write access.

jared