>Internally, the autocompletion is done using the
> ManagementUtility.autocomplete() method, line 264 of
> django/core/management/__init__.py.

I've taken a look the code, but there a few details that I don't
understand.

autocomplete() is executed always, regardless whether the user has
requested completions or not. The only early exit point of
autocomplete() is reached if DJANGO_AUTO_COMPLETE is false. Otherwise,
sys.exit(1) returns to the console. How is this avoided when you do
something like `manage.py sqlall<ENTER>`? Is the variable
DJANGO_AUTO_COMPLETE implicitly unset after each execution of the
completion bash script?

Cheers,
Guillermo