On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss <ja...@jacobian.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Giuseppe Ciotta <gcio...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Having an additional field{s} in the ticket, only accessible to core
>> developers, where they would put the "official" (as in: approved by a
>> core developer) triage status of the ticket, could improve the
>> efficency of the tickets review.
>
> I'm hearing a trend that folks are often confused over what's
> "official" versus "unofficial" in Trac.
>
> However, I'm wary of committer-only fields -- it adds an additional
> burden on us to keep 'em up-to-date, and I don't like the idea of
> preventing people who want to contribute from doing so.

My personal opinion is that the community should continue using the
fields we have now, because they ease the ticket evaluation job of
core developers.

I don't think adding additional fields will add burden for two reasons:
- this information is going to be easily shared between developers
- developer can have a better understanding of the whole situation,
because they can trust these field.

> So, what do you think of just adding some sort of different display to
> comments or to ticket changes made by members of the core team? You
> know how on blogs comments by the original author are highlighted?
> Something like that. I think it'd help people know when something
> "official" happened.

This would be super cool... really. But still, for reporting, "core
devs" fields look better to me. Having both fields and "featured
comments" would be perfect.

As I side note, I've switched from Trac to Redmine for my current
project, and it is *so* much easier to administer, there's *so* less
noise in tickets, and out of the box isn't a PITA as Trac is. I'm
extremely happy with it and I highly suggest to have a look at it
(it's ruby though, so we may be a little bit limited in terms of
hacking on it).