In this case you're compressing at runtime... or am I missing something?

I think I'm just going to burrow for a little while and prototype some
helpers.  I've got a project coming up shortly with some room for R&D on
this front, so hopefully I'll be able to put them into production for a
while before I bug anyone again.
I'll be back (at some point) when I've got something I think will
benefit the community.

Thanks for all the interest in the topic though - I think that proves we
are all hungering for *something* even if we're not exactly sure as to
what it is.