On Thursday 27 May 2010 13:33:10 Tom Evans wrote:
> I never claimed it wasn't; it was stipulated that Django's template
> system wipes the floor with all others, and it is inconceivable to
> think more favourably of a different system.

I never said that Django wipes the floor with "all others" - I was
speaking specifically of PHP.  And, even then, I said that it wiped
the floor with it "in so many ways", not every way - of course there
are ways in which, in certain situations, PHP provides certain
conveniences that you might want.  I was saying that, giving these
very significant advantages of Django's template system, I was very
surprised to hear someone come to the overall conclusion "PHP has us
beat".

In many cases, I think even the perceived advantages of PHP are things
we don't even want to copy, because of our deliberate design decisions
(e.g. to make templates designer friendly).  But if there are some
real advantages of PHP over Django's templates, or some significant
pain points, then of course we're interested to know.

BTW, to reply to your other message, you can set variables in a
limited form:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/templates/builtins/#with

Thanks,

Luke

--
"Oh, look. I appear to be lying at the bottom of a very deep, dark
hole. That seems a familiar concept. What does it remind me of? Ah,

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/