We had a site where we needed a wizard with the ability to go back and
forward and store files.
Only allowing files in the last step really isn't an option imho, that
just avoiding the problem ;-)

What we did was simply store the files in a temporary folder and have
a management command to clean them up when needed. (The files where
stores with a timestamp in the name so we knew when they where old).

I'm for having a better form wizard in django. +1