On 09/30/2010 03:46 AM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
Accepted tickets can be:

  * Purely accepted, indicating that someone has verified that the
problem exists, but not how to solve it

  * Accepted with a patch that is wrong in some way (e.g., fixing the
symptom, not the problem)

  * Accepted with a patch that is missing documentation or tests

  * Accepted with a valid patch, just awaiting review by someone else.

A ticket in the first three conditions patently isn't ready for
checkin. A ticket in the last condition *may* be ready for checkin; we
ask for independent verification before it gets moved to RFC.

So - IMHO "Accepted" plays a very important role in our triage system.

To me this shows exactly the opposite: a status that has so many meanings doesn't really mean anything useful :-). I'm not new in Django development yet as you see I managed to misunderstand its meaning in my previous mail.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that we have this huge gap between someone writing a good patch (with docs & tests) and the moment it gets into trunk. Current mechanism of volunteer triagers who are supposed to move such tickets from 'accepted' into 'ready for checkin' doesn't seem to work.

So let me mend my suggestion to better fit reality. Instead of removing 'accepted' altogether (though I still think it's a good idea) I think each committer has to do this routinely. I know that every programmer would rather code instead of applying patches and running tests but the development process simply won't scale otherwise.

BTW, Bazaar guys use the approach with a "champion of the week". Every week a person from core committers volunteers to actively do triaging and committing new and old tickets in the tracker. May be such explicit approach would work for Django too. Especially since we're about to have more committers than we do now.