On Oct 4, 7:37 pm, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Laurent Luce <laurentluc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for those details. In case someone is using those commands and
> > is kind of happy with them, what would be the alternative? sql_reset =
> > sql_delete + sql_add but those commands are not exposed so I am
> > wondering.
>
> It depends a little on what they were doing in the first place. flush
> is the nuclear option, because it deletes *everything*; another would
> be learning how to use ALTER TABLE or DROP TABLE statements manually.

I'm sure the reasoning is sound in the decision to remove these, but
given that flush is db wide and not app targeted - this removes a
certain functionality without any documentation as to why it is being
removed.  The ticket only says "These commands break a lot" which
leaves a little room for clarification - either on the ticket or in
the docs.  I'm sure a number of people use reset when doing early
revisions on the models of an app, who don't need/want to flush the
whole db, and who don't need/want to drop into the db-shell to drop
tables.  Even with South, I use reset early on sometimes when I'm
roughly sketching out a model.  I know this is only a warning, but
seems might as well bring it up now while there is already a thread on
it.

-Preston