I was trying some things out, and I noticed that it isn't actually
possible (without using a char-code and converting it) to put
something like ° (degree symbol) into a "message".

Example:

this code:
messages.info(request, request.GET.get('symbol'))

with this URL:
http://127.0.0.1:8080/?symbol=%BO

will result in:
UnicodeEncodeError at /
('ascii', u'\ufffd', 0, 1, 'ordinal not in range(128)')

Perhaps this is beyond what a framework should deal with, but if
possible, it'd be handy. I built a little site for my wife using
PostgreSQL and if she puts a trademark symbol into a page title, the
success message that should come up on the next (which includes the
title) page causes an exception.