On Dec 14, 7:34 pm, Christian Hammond <chip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 14, 12:02 am, Julien Phalip <jpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 13, 10:16 am, Tai Lee <real.hu...@mrmachine.net> wrote:
>
> > -snip-
>
> > > One suggestion from #1105 was to split out this functionality into
> > > individual decorators, @takes_context, @takes_block. I'm not sure how
> > > easy this would be technically to implement, but I think it would
> > > solve the `takes_context_plus` sink problem Malcolm describes as we
> > > potentially add more special case tag types (simple, inclusion,
> > > assignment, etc.)
>
> > The djblets (created by the guys at reviewboard.org) contain two nifty
> > decorators for exactly this purpose:
> > @basictag:https://github.com/djblets/djblets/blob/master/djblets/util/decorator...
> > @blocktag:https://github.com/djblets/djblets/blob/master/djblets/util/decorator...
>
> > This now seems to me like the perfect compromise. It would generally
> > allow for more versatility and to keep simple_tag (and the future
> > assignment_tag) free of takes_xxx cruft.
>
> > Any chance these two decorators could be considered for inclusion in
> > Django core?
>
> For what it's worth, these two decorators have seriously cut down on
> our development and maintenance burdens. Whether they'd be sufficient
> as-is, I don't know (though you're welcome to have the code), but I'd
> also love to see equivalent functionality in Django.
>
> If I can help in some way to get these in shape (assuming you'd want
> to go that direction), just let me know.
>
> Christian

I think the djblet tags approach is the most reasonable one. It
provides the feature originally requested without disrupting any
existing code or API. The current code works and has been successfully
tested in production environments for a long time.

I'm keen to push this through, but I'm also concerned that the future
freeze deadline is upon us. I don't want to create too much noise in
the issue tracker, so could a core dev advise on the way to go from
here? Considering the djblet approach is judged reasonable, shall we
create two different tickets (one for each tag)?

Many thanks!

Julien