On 30/03/11 12:58, Rohit wrote:
> Hi,
>      I plan to implement HBase backend support for Django as part of
> GSoC 2011. Before I flesh out the idea in detail, I would like to know
> if this is useful enough to Django, whether there are alternatives to
> using HBase in the first place.

Hi Rohit,

The main issue with implementing support for HBase will be the fact that
it's non-relational, and doesn't use SQL, and thus none of the existing
database backends make a good starting point.

You'd probably be depending on Alex Gaynor's query-refactor branch [1],
which contains the relevant changes to help support non-SQL backends;
that's not merged in yet, though there's a possibility it will be at
some point before or during the Summer Of Code.

Our main concerns would be:

 - That this is a feature that people want (our top criterion for
eligibility). You'll be able to need to point us to some previous
discussion on the topic on either django-users, django-developers, or
otherwise show that other people do really want the Django model layer
to support HBase.

 - That you're able to complete the project in the time given. The
Django model layer is a complex beast, and Alex was only accepted last
year to work on it as he had a proven track record of commits there.
We'd want to see some of the work you've done on Django or similar
projects relating to the area of model layers/ORMs.

If you think you can address these issues, I look forward to seeing a
GSoC proposal. Don't expect it to get through without some serious
debate, however.

Andrew

[1]:
http://code.djangoproject.com/browser/django/branches/soc2010/query-refactor