On Apr 12, 2:00 pm, Karen Tracey <kmtra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adding re.escape in that function does break some tests, from a quick look
> it seems mostly ones that are raising multiple errors but only one has been
> listed by the caller of that utility function. It isn't clear to me from the
> docstring of that utility function how it is supposed to work in this
> case...is the caller required to be passing in all errors or is the function
> supposed to find it acceptable if the raised errors include the one that is
> passed in? I don't know.

Thanks for looking into this, Karen. I agree that the API for
assertFieldOutput is quite confusing. Since assertRaisesRegexp does a
search (and not a match), I guess it means that providing one of the
errors is enough to pass the test. However, regardless of that, from
an end-user perspective it doesn't really make sense that it uses
regular expressions at all. I tend to think that assertFieldOutput
shouldn't use assertRaisesRegexp but either use the good old
assertRaises instead.

I think I may have found a fix for this and posted a patch to a new
ticket: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15805

Thank you,

Julien