I've created a ticket: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15902

I agree with Madis. Having a setting to choose where the current language is
stored would be convenient and also backwards compatible.

How do you think the setting should look like? I propose:

LANGUAGE_FORCE_COOKIE

...which defaults to False for backwards compatibility. And when it's True,
the current language is also saved in a separate cookie, no matter if there
is a session enabled.

But I also wonder if it won't be unnecessarily redundant to have the
language stored both in a cookie and a session.