OK, I just uploaded a patch against trunk that should be consistent
with this discussion.  As I note in the ticket, I kept the tests from
the prior patch, which tests were specifically relevant to the admin
as reported by the original ticket, but I also added additional, more
focused tests.  I also had to modify one of the model_formsets tests,
as it was assuming the old behavior.

I ran my changes against the whole of the Django test suite, and no
relevant errors seem to have been generated.

I hope this is OK to check in :)

Regards,
Eduardo