On 05/02/2011 07:15 AM, Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
>>> what do you think about deprecating AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE and .get_profile()
>>> or removing the suggestion to use it from the docs in 1.4 release?
>>> There are broader issues with extending User model but I think this one
>>> can be handled separately.
>>
>> -1 on deprecating it before having something better to replace it.
>
> Completely agreed. get_profile may not be ideal, but it's better than
> providing nothing, and cleaning up get_profile will be a logical
> extension of any good auth.User refactor.

Deprecating get_profile() is pretty low on my priority list, but I'm a
bit confused by these two comments. What exactly does get_profile()
offer that needs to be "replaced" or is actually "better than providing
nothing"? Or, more specifically, better than recommending a
OneToOneField and the usual ORM accessor (even leaving aside the
multiple-profiles case)? In every way that I can see, it is worse than
that: it's a special case, requires additional cognitive overhead to
learn, more characters to type, more runtime processing, more code in
Django to maintain, and adds zero value.

The only possible argument for it I can see is that it provides a
standardized way for reusable apps to get at a project's user profile
model. But given that no assumptions can be made about what is on the
profile model, the range of useful uses for that is pretty much limited
to one case: providing some pre-built URLs etc for creation and editing
of profiles; i.e. django-profiles. And even that case gains nothing from
AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE being a built-in feature of Django as opposed to an
external setting documented by django-profiles itself.

I don't mind leaving get_profile() around, I guess, but IMO the best
argument that can be made for that is "it's useless but mostly harmless,
and it's not worth making people change their code to remove it." I'll
continue to recommend in IRC and elsewhere that people avoid using it.

Carl