On May 4, 4:13 pm, Yishai Beeri <yis...@platonix.com> wrote:
> +1 on breaking backwards compatibility, defaulting the arg to None.

Just a note. Defaulting to None in itself does not break
compatibility. Defaulting to None allows to do the url reversal from
inside response_add. But then the tradeoff of preserving backwards
compatibility is that we need to write some convoluted/ugly code (see
[1]). But I think the main motivation here for breaking compatibility
is to allow for more flexibility, as the developer could provide
whichever url they want (in the form of a pre-formatted string).

> However, in [1] Julien suggests to also allow a callable - which I think
> would be very useful, and provide all the flexibility one would need.

I too think that could be useful but it might be a bit much for a
start. At this stage I'd preferred to wait till we hear from concrete
use cases where this would be needed. It can always be added later as
a new feature.

Julien

[1]
http://code.djangoproject.com/attachment/ticket/8001/8001_redirection_backward_compatibility.diff