I think this is something I'd like to open up a ticket for, but first I want to see whether it's already possible, or is overruled by existing design decisions.

Desire:
Now that logging is built into Django, I think that any time there is an exception in a view a logging.exception message should be sent.

Currently, if you create a logging handler to handle 'django' or 'django.request' there is no 'logging' call for the exception.

Justification:
Without this, a developer would have to needlessly complicate all views with exception handlers or apply a decorator universally across all views to ensure that this information (including the stack trace, which comes for free with logging.exception) is logged.

Use cases:

1. For a view accessed via AJAX, if there is an error in a view a 500 (or a 403 for a missing CSRF token) error will occur, but nothing is logged and there is no obvious way to figure out what broke. This is mainly useful during development.

2. In production, it would be helpful to be able to check the log for these errors to preemptively fix bugs.

Thank you for your time.

Shawn