I've been trying to do a little work recently on some tickets that related
to MySQL-specific issues that come up using Django (#2495 and #3615
specifically). As part of trying to get my head around resolving these, I
executed the test suite in the current Django trunk using a MySQL InnoDB
backend.

The results weren't pretty. I had to make a few changes to get the tests to
even execute (related to a missing "pk" field in
regression_tests/admin_views), and once I did I got FAILED (failures=91,
errors=219, skipped=21, expected failures=2)*.* It's a bit hard to know
where a lot of these are stemming from, but presumably a big chunk relate to
the fixture loading problems identified in #3615.

Regardless, it appears that many of these errors have existed across
multiple version releases. Also, some of the tickets that relate to these
issues are marked as severity normal instead of blocker.

I guess I'd like to understand a bit better what to make of this. Are test
failures with the MySQL backend considered acceptable? Do we consider it
okay to drop new releases while these issues go unresolved? Is MySQL not
considered a fully supported backend?

As I mentioned in a comment recently on #3615, I'd like to get involved in
helping move forward on some of these issues (my intent is not to gripe, if
that's what it sounds like I'm doing). At the same time, I guess I'd like to
have a more clear understanding of the Django developers' commitment to
supporting MySQL in the test suite. If this is not something that's
considered to be a big deal, or if other decisions have been made on this
topic already that I missed, then that's cool. Hopefully someone can shed
some light on that if this is the case.

For what it's worth, I haven't come across any serious issues running Django
under MySQL in production -- it's all basically related to running the test
suite, etc. Still, I'd love to get the test suite for the MySQL backend up
to speed because it would make developing and fixing bugs for that backend
that much easier.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.