Hi Andrew,

On Jul 1, 9:12 am, Andrew Ingram <a...@andrewingram.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been working with Django's class-based views a fair bit recently,
> specifically to create some additional ones (dealing with formsets
> mostly). I've been trying to inherit as much of the existing
> functionality as possible, but I've hit a bit of a snag.
>
> I've a ModelFormSetMixin which extends MultipleObjectMixin, much like
> how ModelFormMixin extends SingleObjectMixin in core.
>
> I want to take advantage of the pagination that MultipleObjectMixin
> provides, but I need it at the point of instantiating the FormSet.
> Currently MultipleObjectMixin does all the pagination handling in
> get_context_data which means I have to either re-implement a lot more
> functionality than I'd like, or execute the pagination calculation
> twice.
>
> My ideal solution would be for MultipleObjectMixin to be changed to
> have the pagination handled as early as possible so that I can take
> advantage of it for free.
>
> This is only one use case, but I'm sure there are more. I'm happy to
> try and come up with a patch if there's some agreement on this.
>
> The FormSet views I've developed can be seen
> here:https://github.com/AndrewIngram/django-extra-views/blob/master/extra_...
>
> Regards,
> Andrew Ingram

I think your proposal makes sense and it's generally a good idea to
add more flexibility to class-based views (unless it over-complicates
the API, of course). It would definitely help assess the usefulness of
this if you posted a patch with a concrete test case, so feel free to
open a ticket. You might also be interested in ticket #16256, which is
looking at adding similar generic views to core. Perhaps this is
something you would like to contribute to based on your own experience
and use case?

https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/16256

Regards,

Julien