Hi,

During the recent DjangoCon sprints there have been some discussions between
Jannis, Rob Hudson and I around a change which occurred in trunk a few
months ago in r16415 [1]. This change specifically made the admin use
jQuery.noConflict() instead of jQuery.noConflict(true) while namespacing its
embedded jQuery library. This change had been motivated by some concerns
raised on django-dev about the previous behaviour impeding third party
plugins relying on the presence of jQuery in the base namespace [2].
However, since that commit there have been some counterbalancing concerns in
#16776 about the change making it harder to use multiple versions of jQuery
[3].

The problem is that all the discussions so far have been quite speculative.
No concrete example of how problematic this boolean would be, whether turned
on or off, has been presented. We'd like to avoid breaking things in the
upcoming 1.4 release, so we'd appreciate getting some feedback from
developers who are used to customizing the admin with third party plugins or
with multiple versions of jQuery.

Currently the consensus is the status quo. If you have strong opinions on
whether or not the change in r16415 should be reverted, then please provide
concrete arguments for it. If you know how this question is handled in other
frameworks then that would also be quite useful to hear about.

Many thanks!

Julien

[1] https://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/16415
[2]