On Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:37:06 PM UTC+2, Peter wrote:

> I'd just like to chime in to say this should definitely be part of
> core - it's a common requirement, and whilst it could be a third party
> app, it certainly feels much more at home in core.

+1, especially if it works with pagination (which is often not the case for
3rd party apps which fall back to raw sql or so…)

> On Sep 27, 1:13 pm, Luke Plant <l.pla...@cantab.net> wrote:
> > For me, QuerySet is at a level of abstraction where I don't think it
> > guarantees a single query. We have quite a bit of precedent here I think:
>

> I also agree on this - many ORMs give the option to fetch objects
> using a separate select (I'm thinking for example hibernates
> "FetchMode.SELECT"). I think if you explicitly use this then you
> probably need to understand what it does like anything else.

Jupp, btw don't we even already have some cases where eg assertNumQueries
fails since mysql executes more queries? (I remember something like that on
#django-dev -- or I am completely dumb :))

Cheers,
Florian