On 11 October 2011 14:04, tWoolie
<thomas.woolf...@student.adelaide.edu.au>wrote:

> > Yep. Could you outline your plan of attack for this?
>
> 1) create "newadmin" project to be a dropin replacement for admin.
>    (Clone current admin and slowly replace features/trim dead code)
>
> 2) Split out filterspec functionality into newadmin.filter.
>  - Give it a nicer wrapper such that a FilterSet can be declared and
> instantiantiated much like newforms
>  - Move API for registering filters out of ModelAdmin and into
> newadmin.filter
>
> 3) Split out table generating/sorting/display into newadmin.table
>   - clone django_tables2 and do some refactoring as necessary
>   - replace admin functionality with admin.table functionality
>
> 4) Develop CBV Wrappers for the core functionality
>   - replace admin views with CVB style views

Actually, my proposal at this stage simply is to start with step #4 (i.e.
Turn admin views into CBVs, in a backwards-compatible way and without
changing existing functionality yet) with the hope that the core
functionality would then be more easily extractable and could be made more
generic.

I'd be reluctant to start a "newadmin" in core just yet without extensive
design discussions first taking place on this topic. However, nothing
prevents you or anyone who's interested to push this along by starting it
outside of Django and then potentially merge it to core once it reaches a
satisfactory state. I see that step #4 could be done in core regardless,
though, and my point is that this work would benefit other efforts that are
put into the full newadmin rewrite as it'd give us some empirical evidence
of what does or doesn't work, quickly highlighting any major snag in the
process.

Julien