Hi,

This feature has been discussed in the past on this mailing list (e.g.,
http://goo.gl/ezMpc and more recently: http://goo.gl/j1CPv). There has also
been talks about merging the databrowse contrib app into the admin (see
this ticket: https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/8936 or the GSoC
proposal written by Aymeric last year:
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SummerOfCode2011#Integratedatabrowseintotheadmin
).

Over the years, the admin has been built with the idea that it would only
be used for *editing* data. Perhaps the main example of that is the
changelist (note that its name includes the word "change"), which itself
contains several editing features such as admin actions or the
list-editable forms. Another example is the URL scheme, where
/admin/myapp/mymodel/1234/ points to the change form, whereas in an ideal
world that would point to the object's read-only page
and /admin/myapp/mymodel/1234/edit/ would point to the change form.

Adding the read-only functionality could be done at least by adding a new
"View" permission, extending the URL scheme and refactoring the changelist.
Doing things properly and in a future-proof way seems less than trivial and
most likely backwards incompatible. It would be a welcome change though,
and also a good opportunity to clean up some parts of the admin's codebase.
So I'd absolutely encourage anyone to dig into it and I'd personally be
happy to follow it up and provide feedback as needed.

Kind regards,

Julien