On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM, h3 <hainea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If you'd like to make an argument as to *why* it's useful, that's
> useful, but we don't take polls.
>
> I think the argument as to why it's useful as been made quite
> extensively.
>
> On the flip side, beside the ivory tower philosophical stance, I did
> not see much
> compelling argument as to *why* this is a bad idea.

Django is nothing other than ivory tower philosophies (and I really hate
this "ivory tower" insult, as if it's a bad thing to be principled and
philosophically sound) applied to APIs.  If it violates the philosophy, it
shouldn't go into an API.

> If you think it makes your templates look ugly, well just don't use
> it. You'd still have the choice.

No.  If it's an API, it doesn't need to be used by me in order to poison my
experience with Django.

> Meanwhile some other people think it would make their templates more
> readable, but
> unfortunately they don't have the luxury to choose because an
> architect think it's ugly.
>
> At this point I think it's worth mentioning that it's a not a beauty
> contest. And even if it was,
> I don't see the beauty in lines of code that are 10 feet long.

In another thread someone had an example of a multi-line tag, and I
actually commented to my computer on how ugly I found it. Beauty may be in
the eyes of the beholder, but the reason we have BDFLs is to keep those
decisions consistent.  Glyph Lefkowitz's keynote from DjangoCon this year
really drives this home.

> On Feb 24, 10:15 am, Daniel Moisset <dmois...@machinalis.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gay...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Folks, you seem to have missed Russell's point.  Even if 100 people +1
> this,
> > > it's meaningless.  That's a tiny fraction of this mailing list's
> readership,
> > > much less of the Django community at large.  Django is the way it is
> > > because, first and foremost, of taste.  If you'd like to make an
> argument as
> > > to *why* it's useful, that's useful, but we don't take polls.
> >
> > It's useful because it helps some templaets in some cases be more
> readable

Alex