Hi,

Since most people only ever report bugs, I wanted to report success in the
initial migration of a relatively large project (~35k lines of Python
application code, excluding comments and migrations, with ~43k lines of test
code over ~2.5k tests) to Django 1.4 rc1. The production environment is running
Django 1.3.1. Both are using Python 2.7.2 and MySQL.

Relatively few changes were necessary.

There were a couple of bumps on the way (bugs #17879 and #17891) which were
fixed quickly.

I also had to spend some time updating some of our code which customises bits
of Django that don't look like they were meant to be customised. We have custom
logic for computing template lookup paths that depends on the request
(skinning, basically), which doesn't 'fit' into a custom template loader.
'Normal' views are handled by way of an overridden get_template_names() in a
base view - all our views are class-based, but:

- We have a custom template tag that derives from ExtendsNode, and overrides
get_parent
- We have a custom Library implementation that overrides inclusion_tag(), which
knows
  about our template lookup logic; it broke because the signature for
generic_tag_compiler
  changed.

Both of these were fixed by using the new implementations from Django itself,
and re-applying our small changes.

Should I raise backwards-incompatibility tickets for these? They're pretty
obscure, and I can't imagine many people are doing them. I raised #17891
because the code involved a clear extension point.

At this point, everything else seems to have 'just worked' - including some
moderately scary model generation code - and I was finally able to remove our
`backports` app containing signed cookies and cookie-based sessions, and our
build-time patch for select_for_update(). Next up is checking that there aren't
any significant performance regressions.

Thanks, everyone!

Cheers,
Dan
--