On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Alex Ogier <alex.og...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would something like the following alleviate that problem?
>>
>> class User(models.Model):
>>    if settings.USE_LONG_USER_FIELDS:
>>        username = models.CharField(max_length=255, unique=True, ...)
>>    else:
>>        username = models.CharField(max_length=30, unique=True, ...)
>
> Maybe, but there's a lot more than username length that people want to
> change. Adding piecemeal settings to manage all this is putting wallpaper
> over gaping holes. It's not a good long-term solution.

I have to agree, but I don't think it was intended to be a long-term
solution. All the other proposals include an entire scheme for
defining your own User model. But, aren't we eventually going to get
the Apps re-factor (from past GSOC) anyway? Why would a scheme be
implemented and released to only have another scheme which
accomplishes the same thing be included within the next couple
releases? Now we have two ways to configure which User model to use.
Are we then going to depreciate the method introduced only a release
or two before?

Sure, the Apps re-factor could be abandoned for one of these other
proposals, but the Apps re-factor benefits a lot more than the User
model. However, if the Apps re-factor is still a go (when ready), then
something like Nan's simple proposal above seems to me like a more
sensible intermediate approach. Although I might suggest wrapping the
entire model def in a single if statement rather than individual
fields.

That way, we get the immediate needs (longer email, etc) addressed
with an interim solution but have only one path (Apps re-factor) to
the broad solution down the road.

--
----