Hi folks,

I've decided to go ahead and make a GSoC proposal out of the discussion
around auth.User replacement. I'd love to contribute to this and carry
through my ideas to their conclusion, even if this proposal is shot down.

The proposal in full is at https://gist.github.com/2304321. I will continue
to keep that up to date as long as the proposal has breath left in it.

To Adrian specifically: You have indicated on this list that you are eager
to have at this problem yourself, and that may make this proposal a
non-starter. I think we are very much on the same page in terms of
technical direction and end goals of the refactoring: I want to make this
change as conservative as possible from a technical standpoint, but
document, test and validate it as much as possible from the community's
standpoint. I think we have strong motivation for the specific decisions we
agreed on, and they give the project enough direction that it will rapidly
become obvious if and when I am derailing your conception of what needs to
be done, so I hope you will consider letting it be done as a GSoC project.

Best,
Alex Ogier