I wanted to point out that Mezzanine doesn't actually just use
django.contrib.sites.  Mezzanine uses django.contrib.sites and thread
locals.  The way it is set up example1.com and example2.com can both
be driven by the exact same django instance but have different
content.  The third paragraph in the first post of this thread
explains a bit more about how it works:
http://groups.google.com/group/mezzanine-users/browse_thread/thread/e173dee4c683e05c