On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM,  <django-developers@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/topics
>
> Proposal: Add some extensibility / decoupling features to Django templates
> [1 Update]
> Django-nonrel patches [2 Updates]
>
>  Proposal: Add some extensibility / decoupling features to Django templates
>
> Yo-Yo Ma <baxterstock...@gmail.com> Jun 23 05:17PM -0700
>
> I'll start with an example:
>
> Using Jinja2, I can create an environment which is pretty secure (no access
> to anything but built-ins and objects explicitly marked "safe"), and
> provide a loader who's templates are loaded from the database (e.g.,
> ``request.client.template_set.all()``), and customize all this for a single
> request (Since I can simply instantiate an ``Environment`` per request with
> a custom ``Loader`` which has access to only the ``request.client``
> templates). I can also customize the extensions on a per-request basis
> (that's sort of analogous to customizing template tag/filter built-ins), in
> order to limit or add to the type of tools that clients have access to.
>
> Using Django templates, I'm left with simply running my clients' sites
> portion of the app under a different settings file. This *almost* cuts it
> too (since I can use a different URL conf which includes different
> template.add_to_builtins() calls, etc.), but it doesn't give me all the
> things that I need, like the ability to instantiate the loader with a
> queryset of templates for the ``request.client``, etc.
>
> "Why don't you just use Jinja2 then?"
>
> The Django core team is a pretty intelligent team, and the philosophy
> behind the style of tags / filters / lack of logic in Django templates is
> far superior to Jinja2. I simply want a more Jinja2-ish Python API for
> using Django templates.
>

> My Proposal (abstract explanation, btw, I'd be happy to help architect /
> write code):
>
> Without changing any of the existing functionality or settings in Django,
> refactor the template system to use an ``Environment`` class (something
> akin to Jinja2's ``Environment``) which takes a list of loaders, and a
> number of other arguments. Then, instantiate this class, using the provided
> settings, and use it for all the default functionality (the admin,
> render_to_response, CBV template access, etc.). This would allow developers
> to make their own ``Environment`` instance with different arguments,
> request-specific or otherwise, and without having to do a lot of evil
> things.
>

> Thanks
> Fellow Djangonaut
>

>  Django-nonrel patches
>
> Andres Douglas <andres.doug...@gmail.com> Jun 22 09:30PM -0700
>
> Hey All,
>
> I've been trying to use django with mongo and it seems like django-nonrel
> is still the best option out there. The only sad fact is that it's still
> not part of the official django. Looking for an answer as to why that was
> [...]

We evaluated django-nonrel for use in projects and looked again at
django-nonrel for our talk at DjangoCon Europe. To summarize our
findings and opinions:

1. django-nonrel is stuck on Django 1.3, which has some security implications.
2. django-nonrel is unsupported. It switched maintainers and the
current maintainer is not working on it.
3. [pydanny opinion warning] django-nonrel wasn't adopted in Django
core because it lacked adequate documentation and tests.
4. [pydanny opinion warning] django-nonrel treats MongoDB as a
relational store, which it most certainly is not.
5. [pydanny opinion warning] django-nonrel smells like a giant hack
done by very well intentioned people..

Hope that helps,

--
'Knowledge is Power'