> 2012/8/22 VernonCole <vernondc...@gmail.com>:
>
> On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:03:57 PM UTC-6, DrMeers wrote:
>>
>> It's a shame we couldn't skip straight to Python 3.3 and take
>> advantage of PEP414...
>
> That seems to me (in my dark status as a lurker here) to be a brilliant
> idea.

Well, this point is moot as far as Django is concerned: we already
went through the effort of removing the `u` prefixes!

However I'd like to explain why this PEP is at odds with the porting
philosophy I've applied to Django, and why I would have vetoed taking
advantage of it.

I believe that aiming for a Python 2 codebase with Python 3
compatibility hacks is a counter-productive way to port a project. You
end up with all the drawbacks of Python 2 (including the legacy `u`
prefixes) and none of the advantages Python 3 (especially the sane
string handling).

Working to write Python 3 code, with legacy compatibility for Python
2, is much more rewarding. Of course it takes more effort, but the
results are much cleaner and much more maintainable. It's really about
looking towards the future or towards the past.

I understand the reasons why PEP 414 was proposed and why it was
accepted. It makes sense for legacy software that is minimally
maintained. I hope nobody puts Django in this category!

--
Aymeric.