I opened this ticket (https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/18823) on the
Trac but thought i'd bring it up here to increase the likelihood of it
getting noticed. In short things don't quite work right when you have a m2m
field that uses a through model that uses a to_field for it's foreign
key. If someone wouldn't mind reviewing the patch and giving me some
feedback, I'd like to help get this issue fixed.

Assuming a fix in some form is accepted, I was also wondering if this bug
fix would be considered important enough to backport to bugfix branches? Or
will we need to wait for the next major release to get the fix in
an official release.

Thanks for your time.