Hi,

Here is a feature request : as a developer, I'd like to know the current
URL name, app name or namespace (or any information gathered during URL
resolution) within views, templates... i.e. attached to a request object.

Some use cases:

* display some content only if inside an application
* set a menu item as active if url_name of current request matches url_name
of menu link
* enable a context_processor if only within some application (performance
tuning).

As far as I know, this feature isn't available currently.

We do have request.path_info. Is it enough? It works, sometimes. But that's
not a rule. As an example, when URL are localized, request.path_info
changes. Request.path_info is not a reference a developer should rely on.
Whereas named URL patterns seems suitable (and even, made for that purpose).

Looking at the code, I'm supposing such a feature could be implemented
quite easily:

* During URL resolution, resolvers return a ResolveMatch object (see
https://github.com/django/django/blob/e72e22e518a730cd28cd68c9374fa79a45e27a9c/django/core/urlresolvers.py#L222or

https://github.com/django/django/blob/e72e22e518a730cd28cd68c9374fa79a45e27a9c/django/core/urlresolvers.py#L331)

* ResolveMatch instances have attributes such as app_name, url_name...
That's what I'm looking for. See
https://github.com/django/django/blob/e72e22e518a730cd28cd68c9374fa79a45e27a9c/django/core/urlresolvers.py#L39

* HTTP handlers are the ones which manage both the URL resolution and the
request object. They could assign url_name or app_name to request. See
https://github.com/django/django/blob/e72e22e518a730cd28cd68c9374fa79a45e27a9c/django/core/handlers/base.py#L104

I mean, in
https://github.com/django/django/blob/e72e22e518a730cd28cd68c9374fa79a45e27a9c/django/core/handlers/base.py#L104,

we have:

callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs =
> resolver.resolve(request.path_info)

But if we had something like:

request.resolver_match = resolver.resolve(request.path_info)
> callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs = request.resolver_match

Then, in templates, we could write something like:

> %}class="active"{% endif %}>Foo</a>

May I create a ticket for this feature request?

Benoit