Hi Anss, thanks for the reply.

The queries are identical.

That's the exact reason I posted. Those two examples should essentially be
the same, save for some sort of operator overloading.

My note at the bottom about providing an empty list instead of the related
cache when calling ``prefetch_related_objects`` implies that something
weird is going on with the related cache, and the fact that it only happens
when using the test client (at least, thus far) makes me think that it
could possibly even be related to some sort of ``threading.local``, or
something to that effect.

The models are simple (named according to the example in the original post):

class Foo(models.Model):
    title = models.CharField(max_length=255)

class Baz(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=255)

class Bar(models.Model):
    foo = models.ForeignKey('Foo')