Hello,

Since all major browsers now support SVG [1], I've replaced two images in the
docs with SVG versions [2] [3]. This isn't a new idea [4].

[1] http://caniuse.com/#feat=svg
[2]
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/middleware/#hooks-and-application-order
[3] https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/testing/#test-cases
[4] https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/15516#comment:7

Since they're resolution independent, they look much better at non-native
resolutions — eg. on Retina displays, or when the page is zoomed in or out.

The downside is that IE <= 8 and Android <= 2.x can't display these images. I
don't believe many developers read Django's docs on these browsers, but let me
know if that's a real inconvenience.

I had to include a PDF version too (thanks Tim for noticing) because Sphinx'
PDF builder doesn't support SVG. The following syntax tells Sphinx to look for
the most appropriate format among those available:

.. figure:: _images/myimage.*

If _images contains myimage.pdf and myimage.svg, the HTML builder will then use
myimage.svg and the PDF builder myimage.pdf.

--
Aymeric.