Hi guys,

I would like to consult you about a thought that it has been hitting me for
a while, it is simple but important from my view point.

It is around contrib.flatpages app, specifically around get_flatpages
template tag.

I know you've tried to keep very simple this app, on the basis of:

" A flatpage is a simple object with a URL, title and content. Use it for
one-off, special-case pages, such as “About” or “Privacy Policy” pages,
that you want to store in a database but for which you don’t want to
develop a custom Django application. "

and what I'm thinking don't try to change it, as opposed to that, I'm
trying to keep Django more close to the first point of the Design
philosophies: "Loose coupling".

The point is, get_flatpages tag can be used as follow:

    {% get_flatpages as flatpages %}
    {% get_flatpages for someuser as flatpages %}
    {% get_flatpages '/about/' as about_pages %}
    {% get_flatpages prefix as about_pages %}
    {% get_flatpages '/about/' for someuser as about_pages %}

If I want to get specific page I need to do it via its url or a prefix,
which is somewhat rough, because my template code become data dependant, I
meant, if I change the url of certain flat page then it is neccesary to
change my template code too.

so, why don't allowing pages to be referenced by a symbolic name?,
something like an identifier to the page, addable through e.g. the
'Advanced options' section, thus we could do something like this:

    {% get_flatpages 'about' as about_pages %}

which is more fexible and less data dependant, don't you?

Besh wishes,