Just a couple of random quick thoughts:

Will persistent connections be able to ensure that "bad connections" (e.g.
those in state "current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end
of transaction block") don't leak from one request to another?

MySQL, at least, will close a connection from the server side if it is idle
for too long (no idea if that is configurable, I've never had reason to
investigate...have just noticed the behavior). In the pull request it looks
like we only check for the need to close at the end of a request cycle? For
a very low activity site it seems those two behaviors could interact badly,
with the request cycle finishing code deciding to keep the connection
around since it's not too old....long delay until next request while MySQL
server closes what it sees as an idle connection...next request tries to
use a connection that the server has closed?

Karen