I looked into this today with 1.5 hitting and working on a project and this
seemed relevant.

On Monday, 2 May 2011 19:22:53 UTC+2, Carl Meyer wrote:

> 1. A specification of the minimal useful interface for a User (perhaps
>
> in the form of an abstract base model?)

A User should not require a username. Usernames are a hideous remnant that
are impossible to justify on consumer facing websites. Authentication on
e-mail should be built-in if not the default.

> 4. A migration path that meets our backwards-compatibility standards.

I saw the configurable User model that just landed in 1.5 but for a
non-library developer this is not very useful. It looks like a very large
amount of code for a rather small function.

Furthermore: “If you intend to set
AUTH_USER_MODEL<https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.5/ref/settings/#std:setting-AUTH_USER_MODEL>,

you should set it before running manage.py syncdb for the first time.” is
somewhat prohibitive to existing projects. “you may need to look into using
a migration tool like South <http://south.aeracode.org/> to ease the
transition.” is not really a solution unless it is obvious what changes
should be made.

Also I don't understand: “This example illustrates how most of the
components work together, but is not intended to be copied directly into
projects for production use.” Code that is ready for production is the
point of the documentation for me. If this isn't, I think it's a
documentation bug.

Best,
Alper