Hi Shai,

On Sunday, March 3, 2013 12:27:47 AM UTC+1, Shai Berger wrote:

> > I also believe that it beats the alternative — namely, live with the
>
> > current behavior forever.
>

> I sincerely hope that is not the only alternative; that there's a way to
> implement the new behavior side-by-side with the old one. There usually is.

Can you describe how an alternative in this case would look like? I
personally can't think of any sensible one.

> I don't consider backwards-compatibility an absolute, and the first of my
> two paras which you quoted above shows just that. I do think there are
> proper ways to introduce backwards-incompatible changes, and what you
> suggested isn't one of them.

If you think there are proper ways to introduce this specific change,
please show us. Aside from that, all of our bugfixes and new features have
a possibility to break code. Bugfixes that break old code usually occur as
a side effect of not seeing the issue the fix causes or being fully aware
of the issue and considering it minor enough (that is no data-loss and only
happening to a small fraction of users). New Features shouldn't break code,
but they usually also touch old code, so they can break stuff in the same
way as bugfixes.

In the case of this change I think that users with low traffic sites won't
even notice the changes (no concurrency) and users with high traffic sites
shouldn't see it cause they should be using autocommit and the relevant
decorators anyways…

An immeiately-breaking change, where the breakage is hard to detect and
> debug, and with high potential for data loss... I don't think any warning
> in the release notes can be enough. All I can say is, -1.

I am still +1.

Cheers,
Florian