The tests are nested whether they're in the core tests or in contrib.
Philosophically this is more a question of coding at a distance. Putting
the tests in /tests makes it less obvious which app they actually belong
to. Additionally, I'd see the fact that it would be impossible to use
manage.py test as a detriment rather than an advantage. If people want to
not run the tests for an app, they can always just list the apps they do
want to test. Also, django-nose is pretty useful for handling test
discovery issues, if you're looking for a quick fix.

--Stephen