On 29 Mar 2013, at 17:22, Bernhard Ja <boe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello together,
> this is my first post to the Django developers list. Please let me know if
> this topic is better placed on Django users :-)
>
> For i18n there is a javascript_catalog view we can use to access translations
> in javascript.
> Accessing django urls in javascript is IMHO an annoying task, but it cloud be
> as simple as the translation thing.
>
> I wrote a small django app[1] that makes url handling easy for me.
> I would love to see sth. like that in the django core.
>
> What's your opinion?
>
> Thanks for feedback and have a nice day,
> Boerni
>
> [1] https://github.com/version2/django-js-reverse

I like the concept of this, because it's something I've often wanted myself.
But I want to bring up a couple of points:

1) Some websites rely on the obscurity of some of their URLs as an additional
security measure (i.e. have the admin at something other than /admin/). This is
admittedly not a great measure, since a persistent attackers will probably get
around it. But the key would be a way to manage which patterns get included in
the javascript catalog, possibly even having it configurable at the the view
level so that some templates can request a different subset of the patterns to
others.

2) It'd be nice if it could be integrated with internationalisation, so that if
you're using Django's i18n_patterns, the view automatically fills in the
country segment based on the request's locale. Much like the translation string
view only returns the strings for the request's language.

Andy