How to avoid those browser warnings about mixing secure and insecure
content on a web page?
Wouldn't it be great to be able to specify a URL for a resource (be it a
script, image, iframe etc.)  such that if the current page is insecure
(using a http:// scheme) the content would be fetched using the same scheme?
And when the current page is secure (using a https:// scheme) the resource
would also be fetched as if it had a https scheme?

Well you can, just leave out the scheme in the URL. That is, specify it as
"//example.com/some/path/" and the browser will apply the same scheme as
the parent page.

Great! - But, it is not possible to specify a URL such as this in a Django
URLField. Thanks to https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/5331, a blank
scheme will be cause the field verification to insert "http" as the scheme,
and you lose the flexibility described above.
It is currently not possible (in Django 1.5.1) to get a URLField validating
with a blank scheme, so the ability to specify a URL for a resource which
can be follow the scheme of the parent page is not possible.

I content that the 5331 ticket may not have taken into account the
flexibility which the empty scheme offers on web pages, and I urge that it
be reconsidered.

What do folks think?
SB