On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
>>
>> Just an idea.
>>
>> I think it might make sense to remove the download_url from setup.py. It
>> has caused problems in the past
>> (http://www.djangoproject.com/m/bad-installer.txt) and I don't think leaving
>> it there adds much value. It does however add yet another place that a
>> package releaser needs to update and makes `pip install Django` more
>> fragile.
>>
>> The only major benefit I can see is providing a download link on PyPI, but
>> given that there's a link right 40px or so to directly download from PyPI
>> and a giant green download button further up the page I think this benefit
>> is minimal.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>

> Responding mostly because nobody else has, not because I have any firm
> opinions on the topic.
>
> Logically, download_url strikes me as being bit odd - the package metadata,
> which you obtain by downloading the package, contains the definition for
> where to download the package. If the only purpose of the download_url
> declaration is to set the link on PyPI, and pip will install from PyPI's
> uploaded version of the package by preference, then I don't see any real
> benefit in having the download link.
>
> However, I'll completely defer to anyone with more experience with the
> internals of pip or setuptools/distribute/whateveritscalledthisweek.
>
> Russ %-)

If I'm not mistaken, the only part of the download url that changes
with each release is the version number -- which is referenced only a
few lines up. Why isn't the url dynamically created using version?
That's what I do for my projects and the problem has gone way for me.

--
----