On 04/30/2013 05:27 PM, Andrew Ingram wrote:
> Absolutely, there's no requirement to migrate, but it does have the
> feel of an weird kind of deprecation. Obviously there are
> workarounds, like you said, I can upgrade to 1.5 without changing
> user models (though that does involve incurring a bit of technical
> debt).

I think it's worth being extra-clear about this to avoid scaring people
off of 1.5 upgrades with FUD: there is no deprecation of the built-in
User model in 1.5, and I doubt that there will be in any upcoming Django
version. Neither is there any technical debt incurred by upgrading to
1.5 without switching to a custom User model. Custom user models are a
100% optional feature; continuing to use the built-in User model in 1.5
is not a "workaround" for anything, it's fully supported and reasonable.
If you already have working 1.4 code with the existing User model
there's little reason you'd want to switch over when upgrading to 1.5
(unless you are also adding new User-related features to your codebase).

Carl